Monday, January 31, 2011

WOW! Really?!

Today was an adventure to say the least.

It started decently though. I woke up, took a shower before either kid woke up. I don't think that has ever happened without an alarm being set.

And then it began. As I cooked Ana her egg and she pushed me, trying to get me to pick her up and hold her... but she was hungry and was also letting me know this fact. Then Titus began screaming.  Could I get to him? No. I had an egg on the stove. Once I had Ana's breakfast prepared and at her table, I was able to tend to Titus. It wasn't long though, that Donner started frantically pacing the living room. Drat! Forgot about her again. I let her out. Once Titus was settled, Ana was finished.  After some toddler wrangling, I was able to get her to the floor to change her diaper and get her dressed.  After she was dressed, I changed and dressed the baby. Then I called the doctor. I had been planning this call all weekend.  The amount that Titus loses after each feeding just isn't normal! Nor is the amount of pain he is in.  Once I got the appointment, I had to leave for the appointment.  I had only been up an hour and a half, and I had a Target run to make before hitting the doctors.

Do you know how many baby wipes you go through in about 2 weeks with 2 in diapers?! A LOT!!! I feel like I buy a large box (the equivalent of 7 normal boxes of wipes) every week! Its probably every 2 weeks in reality. I should probably pay attention to it.

Anyway, going to Target by myself with the 2 kids was a new thing for me. Titus hasn't been out of the house much, and if you have ever been shopping with Ana... its ALWAYS an adventure! She doesn't think that she needs to sit in the cart facing Mommy. She knows that she gets WAY more attention if she gets on her knees and turns around facing where we are going and waving at passers-by. (At least she is no longer STANDING on the seat facing outward!)

Not 2 minutes into the trip, I began regretting it. Ana was already turned around and Titus was starting to fuss. Ana tried getting Titus to calm down by pushing the blanket covering the infant seat into his face so that she could get to his paci... then pushed the blanket so that just his mouth was visible and began shoving the paci into his face, all the while Titus is getting louder and louder. I got Ana wrestled back into the seat facing the correct way and Titus quiet and then practically sprinted to the baby section, threw the wipes box onto the bottom of the cart. For good measure, I also threw a box of TJ's diapers under the cart. I was not gonna come home to find that I needed diapers too. Then I raced over to the toy department. There are these little Strawberry Shortcake dolls that we've decided to collect for Ana for outings such as doctor's appointments.

Once back in the car, I noticed I had about a half hour to get across town to the office. With TJ screaming (he hates the car) and Ana screeching (she hates when TJ screams), I drove through town with the radio up trying to drown out all the noise.

Here's where my day gets even "better!" In the waiting room, Ana gets a wild hair up her butt! Again, Titus is screaming (the screaming is why we're at the docs) and Ana sees an exit door. She looks at me and giggles and then runs. Straight for the door! I'm running after her holding Titus and just as I reach her arm, she lets out another giggle and goes as limp as a wet noodle and slinks to the floor!! I could hear the chuckles of the other parents. I know they aren't laughing AT me... but I also know that my situation has to look pretty comical. She didn't do this just once. There were a few exit doors and she tried escaping out of them all.

Once in the office, it went rather well (minus her running out of the room ... she can open doors now... while I was feeding Titus). She is very protective over her little brother and protested rather loudly about the doctor touching him, but other than that she was content to color and stick stickers all over the chair.

Titus is gaining weight! Up to 10lbs 7oz! The doctor upped his dose of medication and changed up his feeding lengths a little. Hopefully that goes well... follow up at his 2 month check up in a few weeks!

AMAZINGLY, Anastasia walked holding my hand back to the car (this is the first time she has not tried to escape into the parking lot). The car ride home was quiet while both kids slept. AMAZING.

Nap time. Both kids slept. I regained a little sanity. Then the cousins came over. I love them. Sam has such a gentle personality.  Ana woke up from her nap, and Sam's peaceful playtime came crashing down.  It was like she never slept! She followed behind him snatching EVERYTHING out of his hands! We still aren't sure if "Mam!" means "Sam" or "Mine!"  Once she had her dinner she was quiet. :) And happy. And while each in their own highchair, the two toddlers get along really well!!! :)

Oh well... she's 18 months. Almost 2! It'll only get more adventurous from here.

And then they'll both be toddlers.

Oh boy! Oh boy!

1 comment:

Sierra Hinkle said...

Boy can I relate! You will certainly have more days like this, but you will have days that are 100% better that will make this day worth it. I am glad that you were at least given a recoup time during their naps. Next time try keeping Ana buckled in a stroller. They make the doctors office much tighter but for me it is a life saver.

Photobucket